Re: [opensuse-factory] NIS-Server Trouble - search 20200128 image
  • From: Ulf Bartholomäus <ub22@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 12:02:32 +0100
Hi Michael,

at first many thanks for your fast answer :-)

Am Samstag, 15. Februar 2020, 12:28:30 CET schrieb Michael Ströder:
On 2/15/20 11:53 AM, Ulf Bartholomäus wrote:
[..] so I'm not sure if NIS is still the best/required solution.

Setup an LDAP server providing NSS maps based on LDAP schema defined in
RFC 2307.

You can setup your own LDAP server and use NSS/PAM clients like sssd or
nss-pam-ldapd (also aka nslcd).

OK, I will check the solution

Any proposal for a good article (in best way in German) how to setup according
new changes a home network for >= 2 (login) users and >= 2 client PCs used
with all users?

If not, I will generate one, but for sure needs support from experts. Do
someone know a good mailinglist/chat which can support me with a good
architecture (the implementation later on is only mostly easy possible).

Background, in our LUG there are some other (non technique users) which are
also looking for such kind of solution.

For more complex requirements there are ready-to-use solutions like
https://www.freeipa.org (typically used with sssd) or my own
https://ae-dir.com/ (best used with aehostd). Being the author of Æ-DIR
I'm biased of course. Both solutions are not something you will
understand within half-an-hour though.

But I'm not a fan of prepared packages, if with some reading of an initial
guidline to define a good initial architecture - what is used in which way -
and looking for the background to adapt this is more stable.

Regards
Ulf