Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: 20200209 & 20200211
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 15:11:21 +0100,
Chuck Davis wrote:

I applied 20200209 and lost my sound so as soon as I could I applied
20200211 this a.m.

Unfortunately, still no sound.

When I go into sound configuration in YaST it sees my hardware but
when I select one and hit the edit button I get a message there are no
options for that card. I have 2 cards -- one on the motherboard and
one on my HDMI card. Neither of them has any options available.

In the KDE configuration I can see both cards. KDE shows several
options for the motherboard card which works if I plug speakers
directly into the motherboard. But....

I have a KVM switch to share keyboard, monitor, mouse and sound
between two desktops. The KVM is HDMI based and carries the sound on
the integrated cable. The video, mouse and keyboard all work
flawlessly but there is no sound.

Does anybody have an idea what I can do to get sound back?

Please be specific about your hardware, otherwise no one can help.

If you're dealing with HDMI audio with Nvidia binary driver, there was
a known regression regarding HDMI hotplug notification on 5.5 kernel,
and it got already fixed in the later 5.5.y kernel. You can try the
kernel package from OBS Kernel:stable repo.

Another known problem is HD-audio on recent Intel platforms with DSP
and DMIC support. For those, the new SOF driver is used as default
starting from 5.5 kernel, and it requires the own firmware and the new
UCM support in ALSA and PulseAudio. The SOF firmware is found in
sof-firmware package, while the new UCM support is still not fully
included in TW packages. Those updates are found in OBS
home:tiwai:branches:multimedia:libs repo, waiting for some test
results.

Also, don't touch the sound configuration via YaST sound module unless
you really know what you're doing. It's mostly for the old static
configured devices like ISA non-PnP, and for modern devices and with
PulseAudio, better to leave your fingers away. (It's something like
you'd fiddle with X configuration in the past -- which is no longer
needed in almost all cases.)

thanks,

Takashi