Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Minimal processor features for Tumbleweed on i586?
On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 17:19 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Thursday 2020-01-30 17:14, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:

Do I need to say that OBS has quite new workers and not a single, real, i586
CPU? :)

OBS also has no native riscv64 workers as far as I can tell and yet it
produces
RPMs of that kind. ;-)

Yes, in both cases we use qemu to build the packages.
And our config for i586 builds reports:

[ 40s] 2nd stage started in virtual machine
[ 40s] machine type: i686

And as we already know: i686 is only half the truth - as there is i686
with different feature sets; some with SSE2, some without. Surely,
there is a way to tell qemu to not put sse2 features into the VM. but
that seems not to be done so far.

Keep in mind that disabling SSE2 on i586 has also an impact on 64bit
users that install things like wine, steam and so on - basically every
64bit user that has -32bit packages installed.

Cheers,
Dominique