[opensuse-factory] Re: Minimal processor features for Tumbleweed on i586?
  • From: "Matwey V. Kornilov" <matwey.kornilov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 19:08:28 +0300

30.01.2020 18:46, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar пишет:
On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 15:52 +0100, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
Hi

Am 30.01.20 um 15:13 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 14:50 +0100, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
That is bullcrap. I do use TW on two items of i586-class
hardware. Not very often, but still. It's just that...
webkit is not used by anything I care about (xfce4).
According to .spec files:

Well, I just tried xfce4 and found that it uses librsvg.
Hence it triggers the same bug. Do you see this on your
system as well?

rsvg -> rust... nuff said

Admittedly, I lol'ed.

But then it doesn't really help me with my problem. And according

zypper se --requires librsvg

almost every graphical environment depends on librsvg. So in
practice it imposes a minimal requirement for all things
graphics.

Just came across an interesting blog post[0] it contains:

""" The 32-bit x86 Rust compiler also targets the "i686" CPU
architecture. Sortof. Rust doesn't actually work on these
processors, despite claims, because it actually targets the Pentium
4 processor, by using SSE2 instructions that were first introduced
on that chip. If you try to run it on a real i686 (a Pentium Pro,
Pentium II, or Pentium III), it will try to execute SSE2
instructions which that chip knows nothing about, and crash. """

This post is five years old. I hope the things changed since then.
Anyway, I think that if rust generates SSE for i586 target, this
should be reported upstream. It is a bug. Or there should be an option
to disable. Go compiler may be tuned not to use SSE for i386 go target.

If there is sufficient demand and our rust maintainer(s) are
willing to bite the bullet, we could offer rust as i586 and i686
package. But please, not to many of those i686 packages - or we
have to sit together with the OBS team to get the product builder
'smarter' about this; I have to manually list all i686 binaries for
now - and so far this was only glibc, where we have .i586 AND .i686
and Firefox (which are .i686 already)

Cheers, Dominique

[0] https://fraserblog.codewise.org/rust-on-i586/