Re: [opensuse-factory] Minimal processor features for Tumbleweed on i586?
On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 15:52 +0100, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
Hi

Am 30.01.20 um 15:13 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 14:50 +0100, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
That is bullcrap. I do use TW on two items of i586-class hardware.
Not very often, but still. It's just that... webkit is not used by
anything I care about (xfce4). According to .spec files:

Well, I just tried xfce4 and found that it uses librsvg. Hence it
triggers the same bug. Do you see this on your system as well?

rsvg -> rust... nuff said

Admittedly, I lol'ed.

But then it doesn't really help me with my problem. And according to

zypper se --requires librsvg

almost every graphical environment depends on librsvg. So in practice it
imposes a minimal requirement for all things graphics.

Just came across an interesting blog post[0] it contains:

"""
The 32-bit x86 Rust compiler also targets the "i686" CPU architecture.
Sortof. Rust doesn't actually work on these processors, despite claims,
because it actually targets the Pentium 4 processor, by using SSE2
instructions that were first introduced on that chip. If you try to run
it on a real i686 (a Pentium Pro, Pentium II, or Pentium III), it will
try to execute SSE2 instructions which that chip knows nothing about,
and crash.
"""

If there is sufficient demand and our rust maintainer(s) are willing to
bite the bullet, we could offer rust as i586 and i686 package. But
please, not to many of those i686 packages - or we have to sit together
with the OBS team to get the product builder 'smarter' about this; I
have to manually list all i686 binaries for now - and so far this was
only glibc, where we have .i586 AND .i686 and Firefox (which are .i686
already)

Cheers,
Dominique

[0] https://fraserblog.codewise.org/rust-on-i586/