Re: [opensuse-factory] kubectl package removed
On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 15:29 +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 14:54 +0100, Robert Munteanu wrote:
On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 10:08 -0300, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
Em ter., 21 de jan. de 2020 às 09:49, Christophe Giboudeaux
<christophe@xxxxxxx> escreveu:
On mardi 21 janvier 2020 13:22:38 CET Michal Hlavac wrote:
Hi,

I would like to ask where can I find some info about package
removal reason?
I've searched bugzilla and didn't found any of it.

thanks, m.

See https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/764079. kubectl is
in
kubernetes-
client.

(the k3s package also provides a kubectl executable)

Hi,

Would be great if we got some e-mail like the ones for new
snapshot
ou
for failing packages also for package deletion.

I _think_ that there is a way for an RPM package to signal that it
replaces another one, but for this scenario it was not done for
some
reason.

Thanks,
Robert

Having a Tumbleweed package with artificial conflicts with a package
which was only created for SUSE Linux Enterprise doesn't make sense
me.

The package named 'kubectl' should have never slipped into
Tumbleweed,
'kubernetes-client' has always been the proper, tested, well
maintained, package providing the /usr/bin/kubectl binary for
Tumbleweed and Kubic.

Especially considering that kubectl package had it's own specfile
which, because of it's targetting a different distribution, didn't
align with Tumbleweed/Kubic's way of packaging Kubernetes and totally
broke building recently, the only sensible option was to drop the
package from the distribution it never should have been in in the
first
place.

If I hadn't stopped building the kubectl package for Tumbleweed, I
would have had to have 'fixed' the kubectl.spec so that it built for
Tumbleweed.

And that would have screwed over the _intended_ users of the kubectl
package..so that didn't make a lick of sense to me.

Sorry for anyone who got stung by this, but please, install the right
package and I promise to never intentionally break the kubernetes-
client that is actually maintained ;)

For me it was a just a little time looking for the right package.
Thanks for the context and for working on making things right.

Best,
Robert