[opensuse-factory] [DEL Announce] Compiz will be dropped from Tumbleweed
Hi all,

this is the final chance for somebody to step up and give CPR to
Compiz.

Compiz once used to be this nice thingy, mostly known for projecting
desktops onto a cube and making windows wobbly.

It's been a long that this package did not have a successul build.
First failure was noted on August 1st 2019.

Considering the time that has passed, I am but to believe that the
current maintainer(s) don't care that much for it anymore.

Also the version we have in Factory gives this a bit away: we are at
0.8.16, whereas upstream released 0.9.14.1 in Nov 2019 (so upstream
does seema live; not sure if kicking :P )

So, this is basically a wakeup call: if somebody cares a lot for compiz
it would be about THAT moment to speak up - and the step up to become
the new maintainer. Otherwise, the delete request will be processed,
which will include those packages (dep tree)

compiz :
compicc
compiz-emerald
compiz-emerald-themes
compiz-plugins-experimental
compiz-plugins-extra
compiz-plugins-main
libcompizconfig
python-compizconfig
simple-ccsm

Of course, seeing compiz go makes my heart bleed a little bit - there
has been a time in the past where I was actually maintainer of that
stack (back in the GNOME 2.x days; when I was using and enjoying
compiz)

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >