Re: [opensuse-factory] Lock grades for zypper
On 9/20/19 10:39 AM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 17:28:27 +0930, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/20/19 5:00 PM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
5. Stuff I build from source

Being involved with (many) open source projects, I have blocked
git from installing from the repositories, as I build every
version from the sources myself. Having it overwritten by
updates from zypper would seriously harm my testing procedures

I install all such software into /opt ie /opt/git then have
/opt/git/bin ahead of /usr/bin in my path.

Yes, that works for *many* issues, but not all.

I have /pro for stuff I build from source/scratch, but using a
different prefix causes some of the tests regarding installations
to be ignored.

If *you* are the one that is maintaining 'bash', you want to make very
very sure that a default installation into /usr will pass and that the
procedure is correct.

Another thing is that for some software, you as a system admin might
require a specific version built from source and be absolutely sure no
other version of that software is available on your system as it would
break the applications. e.g. because a different version would
(automatically) change the format of configuration files of the
structure of your database.

Here using /opt would be an additional risk instead of a solution

Why not building it in your own project on build.opensuse.org,
add the repo on your machine, install the RPM from there,
and then always use the '--no-allow-vendor-change' option
for updates?

Have a nice day,
Berny