Re: [opensuse-factory] Moving Firefox to a faster 4-week release cycle - can we get a different name for the ESR release, please?
Hi,

Am 18.09.19 um 15:28 schrieb Manfred Hollstein:

with Mozilla jumping the gun:

<https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2019/09/17/moving-firefox-to-a-faster-4-week-release-cycle/>

_I_ really doubt this will be working out well. Trouble is, we cannot
decide on a package _name_ basis, which one to install. Currently we
have (according to
<https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/>):

- MozillaFirefox-68.1.0-7.1.x86_64.rpm (which is *ESR*)
- MozillaFirefox-69.0-6.1.x86_64.rpm (which is *not* _ESR_)

According to rpm's versioning idea, it would up(date,grade) an ESR
installation to a _non_ ESR installation. While this might not be a
burning issue with Tumbleweed (as there is _no_ ESR for Tumbleweed due
to the identical package name topic), and also since there is no official
ESR version for Tumbleweed at all, considering Tumbleweed for a
distribution aimed to be usable on a daily basis, MozillaFirefox should
remain stable - which I honestly doubt for a "4 week release cycle",
and this is why I post this e-mail here.

@Wolfgang: what do you think about this upcoming challenge?

So yes this puts additional workload on us I think. There are not so many
options though.
My very quick opinion is that Tumbleweed should still stay on the regular
release also with 4 week cycles. The amount of changes within a cycle will go
down so I do not see that much of a bigger risk.
There is actually a problem I see upcoming which is support of 2nd-tier
platforms for Factory/Tumbleweed. Just now with the 68.1 and 69.0 releases we
have put back (aka synced up with SLE patches) to support the platforms
supported with SLE. In that pace I fear that at least I won't be able to make
sure platform support stays intact.

So what could (and probably should) be discussed is if we need a Factory/TW
version of ESR. In that case with a different package name. In the mozilla repo
I used to provide a few years ago an alternative package called firefox-esr
where it was easy to switch between the different streams. This is an option to
do for Factory/Tumbleweed as well. This will give users the choice which variant
to run but on the other hand it's again a bit more work. While not that much
because I'm preparing both versions anyway in the mozilla repo. It would just be
another package name.

So overall I still think it's feasible to achieve but it will cause (at least) a
bit more work and I'm curious about opinions if we want to have an official ESR
option in Tumbleweed.

Wolfgang