Re: [opensuse-factory] TW 20190907: Firefox ESR?
Hi,

Am 09.09.19 um 14:48 schrieb Peter Suetterlin:
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
MozillaFirefox (68.0.2 -> 68.1.0)
==== MozillaFirefox ====
Version update (68.0.2 -> 68.1.0)
Subpackages: MozillaFirefox-translations-common

- Mozilla Firefox 68.1.0
* CVE-2019-11740 (bmo#1563133,bmo#1573160)
Memory safety bugs fixed in Firefox 69, Firefox ESR 68.1, and Firefox
ESR 60.9
- switched package to ESR branch

A question regarding firefox-esr:

I had so far installed the firefox-esr package,
firefox-esr-52.9.0-2.125.x86_64
This is because I need some plugin for Net ID using some gemalto card reader,
for swedish government logins (npiidplg.so). That's basically the only thing
I use ff for, my browser is vivaldi. The plugin uses the old API that had
been removed from main FF.

Today when upgrading I saw it was going to remove the esr version, so I locked
it before it could be kicked out. Phew.

Now I see this switch to ESR version in the changelog, and I have no real idea
what to make of that. Would that new ESR version support the respective
plugins? Or is that (IIRC old netscape) API also disabled on those?

Firefox ESR is the name for a longer maintained Firefox version. The
last few branches of ESR were 52, 60 and now 68.

openSUSE typically follow ESR within stable distributions since some
time while Factory/Tumbleweed is following the regular release.
The current state in Tumbleweed is just given the fact that last week
there were too many parallel releases (60.9.0, 68.1, 69) for me to
prepare in time (during my vacation). Since 69 is still being worked on
and for security reasons the Tumbleweed version is 68.1 instead of
directly 69.0. 69.0 will be provided very soon though.

The last Firefox ESR branch supporting NPAPI fully for arbitrary plugins
was version 52.
There is no way to bring it back in more recent versions no matter if
ESR or regular.

Wolfgang