Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Problems reading Video DVDs
On 06/09/2019 11.16, Berthold Höllmann wrote:

I prefer watching video DVDs by first creating an ISO file (UDF
filesystem data (version 1.5)) on disk and using the ISO file with
mplayer.

For some time I simply used 'cat'. Because I do this quite often, and
sometimes the discs are scratched I wrote a script the first uses
'mplayer' to unlock the DVD drive for reading the encrypted and then
uses 'ddrescue -b 2048 -r 1 -v /dev/sr0 out.iso mapfile' and more
forward and backward scans of the disc utilizing 'mapfile' in an attempt
to rescue more of the content from scratched discs. It did work quite
nice for some time (I think the script is from 2015) for lots of discs,
but got worse and worse in the last few months. And no, ddrescue does
not work on encrypted discs prior to using libdvdcss2 on the disc
(mplayer has to run every time the DVD drive slide has closed, before
any kind of success is achieved using dd, readcd, or ddrescue).

I don't have a freshly purchased DVD to try, but what about using a tool
such as "dvdrip"? Or HandBrakeGUI?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.