Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Problems reading Video DVDs

On 05/09/2019 22:37, Berthold Höllmann wrote:
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> writes:

On Wednesday 2019-09-04 23:16, Berthold Höllmann wrote:

Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> writes:

On Wednesday 2019-09-04 18:17, Berthold Höllmann wrote:

I did replace the cable now, but that did not fix the problem. I guess
it has to do with libdvdread4 or libdvdcss2, I can burn DVD+RW and
successfully read the burned data with the same drive.

Well if that is your guess, then you can just copy the DVD
with /usr/bin/readcd or /usr/bin/ddrescue to a file,
and then the same problem should occur with said file.

Good point. So it is not the libraries, I can open images of DVD Video
disks and view the content using vlc and mplayer.

Trying to generate the images on this machine aborts dd_rescue finds
only 1073 MBytes, but I can read 4.3GB from DVD+RW disks. What else
could be wrong here?

1073741824 = 1024^3

This value does not appear in the CHS and LBA limitations of bygone generations
of computer hardware.

But it is a value that .VOB files on DVDs generally do not exceed.
In other words, it does not appear you are copying the disc as a whole entity;
instead, you are erroneously copying just one file that contains only part of
the entire feature.

OK, this is somehow consistent with the fact that libdvdcss2 is only
able to determine keys for the first, or first few VOB(s), and fails for
the remaining. The DVD player software (or dd*) are only able to read the
unlocked VOB(s).

But this happens only if I use libdvdcss2 on the physical DVD, when I
create an ISO file from the DVD on another workstation, transfer it
this, and use [mplayer,vlc] on the ISO file, keys for all VOBs are
determined.

I had success using "readcd" for generating a ISO image from the video
DVD and using mplayder with the generated file.

Try using dd_rhelp on the dvd, it is a persistent form of dd_rescue and doesn't give up, it also logs the beginning and end of the dvd to the console. It's the only thing that can get around (can't remember the name offhand) security in the form of deliberate bad sectors. A normal dvd machine simply skips the bad sectors but a computer chokes on them.
Be warned, using dd_rhelp on these disks puts a strain on the dvd drive.

Regards
Dave P