Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Stop using Group tag in spec files
On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 9:18 PM Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 2019-09-03 14:19, Bernhard Voelker wrote:

On 8/27/19 9:09 AM, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
Tiny followup on this. As there was no major pushback on this I've
created request to have next release of spec-cleaner to drop the group
tag if encountered:
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/spec-cleaner/issues/256

(Are there) next steps?

Since yast2-sw_single no longer displays groups, I have now made a basic
alternate program to bring back the functionality of a software
catalogue browser that, like yast2_sw, reads the Group: field and
presents a tree.

https://github.com/jengelh/rpm-catalog
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:jengelh:dev/rpm-catalog

This is meant to operate with a modern tag/category/keyword list, akin
to SO tags, placed in the Group: field. The program equally eats the
"Foo/Bar/Baz" groups of current packages.

Naturally, such a browser can only work if there is group/tag
information to begin with.

I'll just point out that your readme indicates that the Debian
"Section" field lets you set multiple values. This is wrong. You can
only set _one_ value, just like the Group tag in RPM. The "tags" you
see in the Debian package search web UI only exist there and nowhere
else. Fedora's tagger service did something similar, but it was
equally pointless.