Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Dependencies of python3-qt5-devel, hplip build failures for ppc64 and armv7l

On 9/2/19 6:00 PM, Martin Wilck wrote:
On Sat, 2019-08-31 at 04:23 +0200, Aaron Puchert wrote:
Am 31.08.19 um 01:21 schrieb Stefan Brüns:
The devel package covers all parts of libqt5-qttools, but most
packages only
need the headers and libraries for compiling and linking. QDoc is
only
required to generate HTML help files from inline source
documentation.

On second thought, it sounds very plausible that the -devel package
should not depend on the -doc package.

That's the general point I was trying to make. IMO "Requires" for
-devel packages should be used very conservatively. Only such packages
should be pulled in that are positively, strictly necessary for *all*
other packages that build against the given -devel package.

For others (your -doc package, for example), it would be little effort
to add them as an additional build dependencies to those spec files
that actually need them during build. It would also be easily detected,
because those packages would fail to build (in the example: once the
-devel -> -doc dependency was removed).

The benefit would be leaner build environments.

I guess you could make the argument that the primary use case for -devel packages could be to allow developers / users to write new applications using the library / toolkit etc and as such atleast recommending the development documentation makes sense. But I agree that a definition that leads to smaller build environments makes more sense. Although as a passing thought I wonder how much would fail / break, if we setup obs to ignore Recommends when setting up build roots. There are probably some evil autotools scripts out there doing autodetection that will silently drop features just because a header is no longer present. So I guess if someone did want to test it they'd have to do it in a separate staging with reproducible build checking enabled.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30