Re: [opensuse-factory] employ zypper to notify about .rpmnew (was: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20190822 released!)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 14:57:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2019-08-24 at 22:31 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:

On Sat, Aug 24, Oleksii Vilchanskyi wrote:

Obviously, nobody can remember to manually run a program to check for
.rpmnew every upgrade. Can zypper notify about this at the end
automatically? The only reference I found googling "zypper notify about
rpmnew" was [0] with a broken link to openFATE. Was it ever implemented?

Implementing this would be a waste of manpower, given that /etc should
not be polluted anymore by packages. File a bug to get the affected
package fixed to not pollute /etc (and hopefully also /usr/etc!).

And how will that help when the defaults change?

Ie, we have installed version 1.1.1, and have /usr/etc/someconfig. We get an update to 1.1.2, which overwrites /usr/etc/someconfig, which has a single line changed to another default, which happens to modify the behaviour of the tool significantly, without the admin getting any hint that there was a modification applied, because now there are no .rpm* files to compare to.

Fine, fine improvement! :-(

If there was indeed an incompatible change, something has to transform
the old config to the new config in some way. I think there are ways to
show notifications at the end of an upgrade, this feature is used every
now and then.

Zypper might compare (diff) the old and the new config and highlight the changes, or just say that there are changes. Sometimes there is a .rpm* identical to the active file, waste of time.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from openSUSE 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)