Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: please someone help with SR#711379
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:27:57 +0200
It is the norm for tools that are not practical to distribute in a
release. Either because you always need the latest version regardless
of codestream or because it does not make sense for people other than
SUSE employees to use them. The only change your policies make is adding
to the list tools that might have been practical to have in a release
but due to technical difficulties with keeping them there they fell out
or never got in to start with.

It's not the norm for openSUSE nor the SUSE SLE department... ;)

If a package hasn't gone through the Factory process, ie. it is not in
either Tumbleweed or Leap, then the package cannot, should not, and
must not be considered an output of the openSUSE Project and therefore
it's quality and legal correctness cannot be attested to.

And I'm pretty sure our users only want software that works and that
they can use and redistribute legally... or am I way off the mark with
that?

Then let's focus the review on quality of the software and legal issues
and not on formalism like listing patch files in the changelog.

Formalism like listing patches is something which makes automated
review of quality and legal issues significantly more practable.
Without formal tracking of patches, there can easily be changes that
invalidate such quality or legal reviews.