Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: please someone help with SR#711379
On Monday 2019-07-01 10:06, Bernhard M. Wiedemann wrote:

On 01/07/2019 07.31, Simon Lees wrote:

If you have examples of "bureaucracy" that you think could be reduced or
removed this list is the place to discuss them, although this thread was
about a bot blocking a certain style rather then causing someone
significantly more effort.

I remember some years ago kkaempf told the story how he packaged
something to build for both Fedora and openSUSE. Fedora accepted the
package, openSUSE didnt - because there were some (possibly
openSUSE-only) macros that "could have been used".

Sounds a bit vague, but oh well.

If you still write `make install DESTDIR=..` in 2019, of course you will
be pointed to %make_install. Or to a spec formatter, whichever comes
first.

openSUSE has a large(?) German involvement, and, stereotypically, we
like everything so neat and tidy that it appears bureaucratic to others.
But it _is_ tidy, and we are held to such standards if and when they
matter (mostly when U+1F4A9 hits a rotating metal blade device ;-).

So by striving to have uniform, easy-to-maintain packages we get less
packages. And less packagers, too.

And yet, openSUSE is among the distros with the highest package counts
(whether that is good or bad, I'll put aside), so the situation is not
too bad.