Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: please someone help with SR#711379
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 13:19:45 +0200
On Monday, 1 July 2019 12:43 Richard Brown wrote:
1- Almost all code developed by SUSE should be open source
2- All that open source code should be open for collaboration and
contributions 3- SUSE-centric locations like github.com/SUSE should
only be used when SUSE intends to take full responsibility of the
codebase. Else openSUSE-centric locations like github.com/openSUSE
should be used. 4- Anything ended up in SLE or SLE based products
should be following Factory First

I think the vast majority of the internal tools you are discussing
currently do not comply with at least one of the four points above,
and until those tools are compliant with SUSE's own public policy, I
consider that a hindrance to openSUSE.

We can split hairs about whether or not SUSE should actively submit
the tools to openSUSE - I can agree the policy is not clear on that,
but it's debating semantics as long as those tools are not open for
collaboration and contribution.

I'm afraid you are talking about something different than what I and
(the other) Michal meant. We were not talking about internal tools. This
was about projects which are open source and publicly available (e.g. on
Github) but which do not have packages in Factory.

Many of these projects have actually working and sometimes even well
maintained packages for openSUSE and SLE but they are kept in someone's
home project (sometimes even in a project which otherwise serves as
Factory devel project) but that someone doesn't feel having to deal with
Factory review process and bots is worth the extra convenience of having
the package "in the distribution".

If the tools were being handled in compliance with SUSE's Open Source
policy then openSUSE could adopt them regardless of what you or I
wanted ;)

Yet somehow noone feels the urge to do so and even SUSE employees often
do not. You may underestimate the scale of the problem as people who
already gave up do not come to discuss the problem to openSUSE mailing
lists ("Survivorship Bias").

I thought there are two ways you can handle this information: either
realize that the way things work today drives some packagers (potential
as well as actual) away and start to think how much of the rules are
really about quality and how much is just formalism for someone's
convenience; or just wave hand and say that rules are perfect and those
people don't understand it and you don't care about them. Somehow, you
found third way, even worse than I could imagine: try to beat those
people with company policy (which does not really apply to boot) and
suggest them to talk to their managers about inability to comply. That's
really sad and disappointing (though, I have to admit, consistent with
some previous experiences).

Michal Kubecek