Re: [opensuse-factory] LTO in openSUSE:Factory
On Thu, Apr 25, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Thursday 2019-04-25 09:23, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, Martin Liška wrote:

LTO stands for Link Time Optimization and it is a GCC optimization
technique that improves speed and reduces size of binaries. According
to our measurements, ELF binaries will be about 5% smaller and debug
info packages by 15%. Now, there are various interesting packages that
have been LTO in Factory right now: libreoffice, MozillaFirefox, python3,
gcc9.

If I read that LTO doesn't work with symbol versioning, isn't then
introducing LTO contra productive? We need much more shared libraries
with symbol versioning then less or LTO ...

And what about the extra memory requirements of LTO? We're notoriously
short on that in the build service.

Memory requirements can be solved by other ways, crashing applications
due to symbol conflicts of different libraries not.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany