Re: [opensuse-factory] LTO in openSUSE:Factory
On Thursday 2019-04-25 09:23, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, Martin Liška wrote:

LTO stands for Link Time Optimization and it is a GCC optimization
technique that improves speed and reduces size of binaries. According
to our measurements, ELF binaries will be about 5% smaller and debug
info packages by 15%. Now, there are various interesting packages that
have been LTO in Factory right now: libreoffice, MozillaFirefox, python3,
gcc9.

If I read that LTO doesn't work with symbol versioning, isn't then
introducing LTO contra productive? We need much more shared libraries
with symbol versioning then less or LTO ...

And what about the extra memory requirements of LTO? We're notoriously
short on that in the build service.