Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: the wheel group (was: Running YaST-Control-Center without root)

On 25/04/2019 09.58, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Neal Gompa schrieb:
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 4:31 PM Stasiek Michalski
<hellcp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
A lot of other (mainly RH based) distros still use wheel, it's
an option in anaconda when installing the system (but anaconda
also has seperate user and root passwords by default on the other
hand).

Since when is "wheel" deprecated? I've never heard of this. In Debian
systems, the wheel group was renamed to sudo, but in all other distro
families, the wheel group exists and is properly configured by default
(except of course, in openSUSE, where it's busted by design).

Do you have examples of that?

I would appreciate some documentation of how is "wheel" intended to be
used, specially on openSUSE. What I found ages ago said something like
wheel being fascist, and assumed everybody knew, so I did not
investigate further ;-)

To the best of my knowledge adding meaning to the wheel group in
SUSE distributions has always been left to the administrator. Ie the
operating system creates the group but doesn't use it. So the wheel
group could mean anything in production deployments.

One use case would be for example to only allow members of the wheel
group to call setuid binaries like su/sudo either via file system
permissions or by configuration, but still having to enter (means
knowing) the root password.
Another one would be to allow sudo without even having to enter the
root password for members of the wheel group. Means accounts with
the wheel group are basically root. That's a very important
difference.

Or allow sudo with user password for those users in wheel group. That
would suit me.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.