Re: [opensuse-factory] LTO in openSUSE:Factory

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, Martin Liška wrote:

LTO stands for Link Time Optimization and it is a GCC optimization
technique that improves speed and reduces size of binaries. According
to our measurements, ELF binaries will be about 5% smaller and debug
info packages by 15%. Now, there are various interesting packages that
have been LTO in Factory right now: libreoffice, MozillaFirefox, python3,
gcc9.

If I read that LTO doesn't work with symbol versioning, isn't then
introducing LTO contra productive? We need much more shared libraries
with symbol versioning then less or LTO ...

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany