Re: [opensuse-factory] Running YaST-Control-Center without root
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 18:56:49 +0200
Op dinsdag 23 april 2019 15:18:35 CEST schreef Stasiek Michalski:
Hi,

I made a patch for YaST CC which enables it to run without root
permissions, and
starts separate modules as root instead (when it needs them with root
permissions) [1], however I'm not sure how you might feel about this.

It requires more password entering if opened without root, which might
prove to
be annoying.

From my point of view, it fixes quite a few bugs, with theming of this
module,
as this is the module with the biggest set of icons. It also would work
just
fine with Wayland (although it could still have issues with starting
modules
in Wayland session, considering it doesn't set an env variable for
XWayland).
It also allows modules that don't require root to be started without
permissions, which is convenient for at least two modules (and would be
even
more convinient if Polkit started being used in YaST ;) ).

Affects only Qt version.

[1]
https://github.com/yast/yast-control-center/commit/d7e96130a2423041b47622be6
7d82eda3a78cd96 LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world
My 2 cents: Please, NO !!!
One of the things I've always loved about openSUSE is the strict separation
between system and user. Entering YaST means the user is going to perform
system related tasks.
I'm even firmly against having no 'root' but just plain sudo and the user's
password. To me that is the same as what ( still ) lots of W users do, i.e.
work in an admin account.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member