Re: [opensuse-factory] Hiding grub prompt when previous boot is successful and when only one OS is installed

On wto, Apr 23, 2019 at 3:38 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <adrian.glaubitz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/23/19 3:28 PM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
GRUB is mostly pointless in scenarios where OS boots fine and only one OS is
installed in graphical session. It would be nice to hide it.

Why? If you have just one operating system installed, you can just hibernate
your machine anyway and don't have to reboot the machine at all.

You need to reboot for updates/upgrades (which in case of Tumbleweed are
just like updates ;) ) If I didn't restart as much as I do, I wouldn't
be suggesting this change :P

Fedora has 4
patches for this purpose [1,2,3,4], the only thing we would need to add to this
would be YaST handling of setting variable automatically for graphical target.

FWIW, Fedora also has almost 300 patches on top of GRUB 2.02:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grub2/tree/master

I think that's just way too much. They will have a lot of fun with the
upcoming version 2.04 when they have to rebase everything.

I mean, openSUSE has 150, it's still not going to be fun.

I know that snapper is an useful tool for openSUSE, and GRUB is very much
required for this to work, but snapper is almost always used when user isn't
able to boot into the system.

But what about just switching to systemd-boot then?

We cannot do this, systemd-boot doesn't support booting from different
partition than the one mounted for loader entries. Our default partition is
/boot/efi (kernel+initrd however in /boot), and YaST will complain about
different setup than this. This is done because of snapper, which backs up
/boot for the sake of keeping the same kernel and initrd for snapshots.

GRUB2 with BLS will work with such setup though.

Adrian
��Nry隊Z)z{.r+맲rz^ˬzN(֜^ ޭ隊Z)z{.r+0Ǩ
LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world