Re: [opensuse-factory] kernel/initrd loading sloth (was: Leap 15.1 Build 450.2...)
Neil Rickert composed on 2019-04-16 09:25 (UTC-0400):

Carlos E. R. wrote:

The installation media on my machine (USB stick) took *seven minutes*
just for grub to load the kernel. Then two more minutes till first click.

I'm pretty sure that's a BIOS issue.

I had an older computer that took several minutes to load the kernel and
initrd. And that was when kernels were smaller. Grub is using BIOS
services for this, and if the BIOS is slow then loading the kernel will
be slow.

I've been seeing more and more of this as the size of kernels and initrds
continues to grow. It doesn't happen with 32bit or EXT3 or UEFI.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/grub-legacy-delay-of-more-than-2-minutes-loading-initrd-from-ext4-filesystem-4175599620/

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/