Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
On 4/16/19 8:42 AM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
Andrei Dziahel píše v Út 16. 04. 2019 v 00:48 +0300:
I see. Does it mean Mercurial package goes away as well?

Short answer is YES.

There is longer answer. I am really sorry about it. Mercurial is
one of the biggest disappointments for me in this whole saga.
Whatever I think about it (and I don't use it anywhere), it is
obvious that it is very important program and even more important
format. I am quite certain there are zillion of lines of code
stored in Mercurial repositories of both open source and
proprietary programs, there were parts of Python 3 development
which were specifically tailored for it (bytes formatting in
Python 3.3, I believe), and yet no company owning those lines of
code managed to put down enough cash to make that port happen.
Mozilla, Oracle, Facebook all have huge repositories with their
flagship products in Mercurial and yet AFAIK porting efforts are
now in state "testsuite almost passes" (I may be mistaken, I hope
I am mistaken, it was some time when I looked).

I'm a member of OpenJDK upstream and as I as I know, there have been
attempts to convert the repositories to git but so far, they are
still on Mercurial for the time being.

I still hope the port will be finished and at least some barely
functional Python3 version will be available, but we certainly
don't have resources (and frankly, interest) in doing so
ourselves.

For users it is I believe the final call: get out of Mercurial
NOW, so poorly supported program couldn't be foundation of your
projects.

I find these kind of answers strange, it completely misses the point
of software development. Software development is not just a finger
exercise, but the whole point is to make something that is useful
to others. And as long as users are using Python2.x code, getting rid
of Python 2.x support is a bad idea.

Just because Python upstream decides that the 2.x dead, million lines
of code are not vanishing over night. This is a complete illusion.

Heck, people are still running Cobol, BASIC, Fortran, Ada, Pascal
code and more. All of these are also considered deprecated, too.
That doesn't keep people from using them though.

And I would consider a Mercurial removal a very bad idea as you
are removing something that a lot of people are using.

Adrian
< Previous Next >