Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
  • From: Andrei Dziahel <develop7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 12:37:49 +0300
Okay, this is a bold statement about poor support. The Mercurial
community is undeniably and steadily working on python3; the wiki page
(frequently updated, I must add) says Python3 beta release is planned
on May 1st, with the hg 5.0. The pace is low indeed, but that's rather
on Python cannot be relied upon without extensive test suite. IOW, I
don't think this is matter of throwing more bills at the problem, it's
rather about the limits of what human can do.

Abandoning Mercurial is also not an option: since pijul is not
production-ready, Git user experience is still an abomination, this
leaves Mercurial (with hg-evolve and hg-git installed) the best
command-line Git(Hub) client in class too.

Anyway, there's still 8.5 months left, hopefully we'll be fine.