Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
On 4/15/19 8:34 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 13:39 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
Hello,

this is just your periodic remainder (which could be expected for
the last 10+ years or so, so there shouldn't be any surprise)
that on the bright fresh chilly morning of 2020-01-02 we are
going to remove python2 package (that's Python 2.7.* interpreter)
from Factory.

I'm not sure if you cna word it this drastic - you can set it as a GOAL
to remove python2 from Factory. Even a target date is a nice to have.
And a lot of effort has already happened.

But, as a release manager I claim to have a say in this topic too:
Dropping py2 is a noble goal, it is a high target. But if this means
losing things like firefox, osc, "insertfavoriteapphere" - then you all
can be sure that we will weigh the pros and cons of keeping/dropping
py2. In plus, with a capable maintainer who is willing to further work
on possibly reported CVEs: how can we claim it is not maintained?!

So, please, let's tone this thread down a notch: Maej formulated a goal
to remove python2 by 2020

Well, from my perspective formulating a goal would be more along the
lines of:

"...the goal is to..."
"... we would like to..."
"... the plan is to... if possible..."

However it was stated that

"...we are going to remove python2 package ..."

This is a declaration and an absolute statement as to what is going to
happen. One should not really be surprised that such absolutes create waves.

Later,
Robert

Distinguished Architect LINUX
Technical Team Lead Public Cloud