Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 15:20, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, we always clearly stated, that this will not be the case.

Well SLE15 is not the only game in town, we should not forget that.
SLE12 has Python 2.7 and has a lifecycle until Oct 31st 2027, add 3
years of LTSS and Python 2.7 will exist in SLE 12 10 years past the
upstream EOL.

Unless of course SLE decides to break pretty much every rule we have and
ditch Python 2.7.

Not that I am advocating to keep Python 2.7 in Factory until EOL of SLE
12. However the argument about "it goes away upstream" is not very
strong IMHO.

But considering that, unlike SLE 15, SLE 12 and Tumbleweed have had no
practical, theoretical, or even tangential codebase relationship for
years now, and Leap's last SLE 12-based release reaches end of life in
June this year, I don't see how your point really bring anything to
the table.

I do not think anyone is suggesting that SUSE 'forward-port' to
openSUSE any of their maintenance & fixes they will be conducting on
their old SLE codebase.

Meanwhile, the developers of openSUSE need to assess what they are
able and willing to maintain themselves.

That determination appears to have been made, the reasoning is sound,
the intent has been made public.
I think energies are best spent figuring out mitigation strategies for
any disruption this may cause, but at it's heart, any suggestion that
Python2 has any life left in it appears to be a lost cause to me.