Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
On 4/15/19 8:43 AM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, Adam Majer wrote:

On 4/15/19 2:32 PM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, Michael Ströder wrote:

As said. There are various installation for which back-port patches will be
available, including SLE.

SLES15 SP1 is already python3 only, all python2 code moved to a legacy
module (which means limited support and a short lifecycle) which will be
removed mid-term. As announced already two years ago, or even longer.

So the python2 interpreter is removed too?

Yes, that one has moved, too.

I was under impression the interpreter remains for duration of SLE15.

No, we always clearly stated, that this will not be the case.

Well SLE15 is not the only game in town, we should not forget that.
SLE12 has Python 2.7 and has a lifecycle until Oct 31st 2027, add 3
years of LTSS and Python 2.7 will exist in SLE 12 10 years past the
upstream EOL.

Unless of course SLE decides to break pretty much every rule we have and
ditch Python 2.7.

Not that I am advocating to keep Python 2.7 in Factory until EOL of SLE
12. However the argument about "it goes away upstream" is not very
strong IMHO.

Later,
Robert

Distinguished Architect LINUX