Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
Hello,

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 13:39 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
Hello,

this is just your periodic remainder (which could be expected for
the last 10+ years or so, so there shouldn't be any surprise)
that on the bright fresh chilly morning of 2020-01-02 we are
going to remove python2 package (that's Python 2.7.* interpreter)
from Factory.

I'm not sure if you cna word it this drastic - you can set it as a GOAL
to remove python2 from Factory. Even a target date is a nice to have.
And a lot of effort has already happened.

But, as a release manager I claim to have a say in this topic too:
Dropping py2 is a noble goal, it is a high target. But if this means
losing things like firefox, osc, "insertfavoriteapphere" - then you all
can be sure that we will weigh the pros and cons of keeping/dropping
py2. In plus, with a capable maintainer who is willing to further work
on possibly reported CVEs: how can we claim it is not maintained?!

So, please, let's tone this thread down a notch: Maej formulated a goal
to remove python2 by 2020 - and as a distribution I hope we can all see
the benefit of not having to maintain something that is abandoned
upstream. But just jumping off the cliff because upstream declares
something unmaintained is not going to happen.

You should really really make sure to check all your tools have
been already ported and tested on Python 3 right NOW.

This is something I can undersign though! Please help to make the goal
reachable as much as you can (a lot of effort has come from SLE15
already)

Cheers,
Dominique