Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
On 4/15/19 2:32 PM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, Michael Ströder wrote:

As said. There are various installation for which back-port patches will be
available, including SLE.

SLES15 SP1 is already python3 only, all python2 code moved to a legacy
module (which means limited support and a short lifecycle) which will be
removed mid-term. As announced already two years ago, or even longer.

So the python2 interpreter is removed too? I was under impression the interpreter remains for duration of SLE15.

Beside, how should SLE contain backports, if there isn't anything upstream
anymore? You can only backport something if there is somebody active
upstream.

I'm not sure. We distribute a lot of software that has no upstream anymore. For all intents and purposes, we are upstream for a lot of "enterprise" software.

I'm quite certain that python2 will live on as some other name.

- Adam