Re: [opensuse-factory] Friendly warning: Python 2 is going to be removed from Factory on 2020-01-02
On 4/15/19 2:18 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 14:13, Michael Ströder <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/15/19 2:05 PM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
Michael Ströder píše v Po 15. 04. 2019 v 13:56 +0200:
I really wonder why this is necessary. Given the fact that
there are enterprise distros maintaining Python 2 for a much
longer time there will be backport patches available for
upcoming security issues. And I'm willing to take care of that.

You are free to keep your own project on OBS with packages you want
to support (or use Leap), but Factory is for “the newest stable
software” and “bleeding edge software”, not the museum of computer
archeology.

So this is simply your personal ego-trip not to care about what others need.

Users want supported, secure, maintained software

https://pythonclock.org/

That does not include Python 2 after the day upstream formally,
absolutely, and unquestionably abandon it.

As said. There are various installation for which back-port patches will be available, including SLE.

While migrating to Python 3 is of course necessary I see no reason to fighting a crusade against people who still have to maintain Python 2 after that date. And as said: I'm willing to do work.

Ciao, Michael.