Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
  • From: Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 01:44:16 +1000
On 2019-04-13, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In that case their "podman pull fedora" would pull a fedora image from
a fedora registry, "podman pull tumbleweed" would pull TW from our
registry, and "podman pull alpine" from the docker hub.

Do you know if they're willing to make such a change? This is just going
to cause headaches when users copy-paste scripts between distros...

(Personally I think the solution to all of these headaches should've been
to make all images require the registry name -- the default registry has
caused a bunch of other unrelated headaches as well.)

Has anyone actually reached out? I can honestly say no one has asked
about this before.

No-one has reached out, I was mostly thinking out loud -- we haven't
decided what's going to happen with the naming yet.

We're all friends, stop pretending we're not. :)

Of course we are, though as I mentioned my main worry with this is that
image names will become non-portable between distros -- unless we have
an inter-distro agreement that Debian/Ubuntu/Arch/Fedora/openSUSE/...
will all have their registries listed.

Another potential issue is that you're now by-default shipping binaries
(containers) from another distribution which might result in some
interesting security policy questions. Obviously this is something that
could be resolved.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)