Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
  • From: Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 00:22:35 +1000
On 2019-04-11, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 15:56, Fabian Vogt <fvogt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

We're shipping podman by default in our container focused openSUSE
offerings

Yes, but the images offered are (hopefully!) not only used on openSUSE
systems.

In this case Alexa has a valid concern about namespace/repo name overlap,
which
is something we can't just ignore because "it works on openSUSE".
Containers are meant to work outside of a single environment after all.

Yes, but we shouldn't just cater to the lowest common denominator of
one less-than-ideal runtime.

That "one less-than-ideal runtime" is the most commonly used runtime.
This means that not interoperating with it defeats the point of having
our own registry (which, by the way is a *Docker* registry).

(In fact, the only runtime which supports this is libpod family, so I
would argue that they are the "odd ones out" as it were.)

But, we're getting side-tracked here. This is a discussion about naming
conventions *not* what the default registry config is going to be for
one runtime we ship (that is a separate conversation -- because
regardless of that decision we need to make sure it makes sense for
non-openSUSE users).

In that case their "podman pull fedora" would pull a fedora image from
a fedora registry, "podman pull tumbleweed" would pull TW from our
registry, and "podman pull alpine" from the docker hub.

Do you know if they're willing to make such a change? This is just going
to cause headaches when users copy-paste scripts between distros...

(Personally I think the solution to all of these headaches should've been
to make all images require the registry name -- the default registry has
caused a bunch of other unrelated headaches as well.)

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)