Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
On Thu, Apr 11, Fabian Vogt wrote:

That's debatable - do we actually need a Kubic base container?

No, this doesn't make any sense.

The current kubic-* containers are all using plain Tumbleweed as content,
so they would perfectly fit the "tumbleweed/$containername" description.
I'd say we would need it if we can answer this question appropriately:
What would be the difference between e.g. tumbleweed/cilium and kubic/cilium?

The "tumbleweed/cilium" would be a generic tumbleweed container containing
cilium for generic usage. The "kubic/cilium" container would be designed for
openSUSE Kubic and makes only sense for a kubernetes cluster, but not on
a plain Tumbleweed or other distribution.

If so, the answer could be the base for a definition on what "kubic/" means.

tmbleweed/* -> generic useable containers on any Container Host OS
kubic/* -> "system" containers specially designed for kubernetes
on openSUSE Kubic, running them standalone on any Container Host OS
will not make sense or wouldn't even work.

I see a differentiator between tumbleweed/* and kubic/*

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany