Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 11:19, Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2019-04-11, Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, Aleksa Sarai wrote:

tumbleweed -> base container
tumbleweed/apache -> derived container

is actually possible to do with stock Docker Distribution -- because the
"tumbleweed/" somewhat acts as a directory and I'm not sure if you can
publish an image with the same name as a repo.

Alpine is doing that on docker hub as far as I could see, but I also
would not do that to get people not confused.

"docker pull alpine" translates to "docker pull
docker.io/library/alpine". So while it looks the same, internally it
gets translated long before it hits the registry.

We're shipping podman by default in our container focused openSUSE offerings

There we do not have dockers limitations, and can have multiple
registries, which podman will use, in order

Therefore I want a situation where

"podman pull tumbleweed" translates to
registry.opensuse.org/tumbleweed and pulls the Tumbleweed base
conatiner

"podman pull leap" should pull registry.opensuse.org/leap, pulling the
Leap base container

"podman pull kubic" should pull registry.opensuse.org, the "Kubic base
container" (aka the Tumbleweed base container under a different name)

Derived containers should be $base/$containername

eg. tumbleweed/busybox
leap/whatever
kubic/pause

For synergy with docker (where we do not have that luxury of being
able to practically use a trusted registry by default, nor do docker
have the support for reflecting how our distributions are delivered) I
ALSO want the following to work

"podman pull opensuse/tumbleweed" or "docker pull opensuse/tumbleweed"
should pull the Tumbleweed base container, from registry.opensuse.org
in podman or docker hub in docker
"podman|docker pull opensuse/leap" for leap

I think the way we've done mapping with registry.opensuse.org should
work fine with that already.

Putting my suggestions all together and in other words;
I do not think there should be an 'opensuse' container, because there
is no 'opensuse' distribution
I think derivatives should reference their base container (eg tumbleweed/$foo)
For Kubic specific containers the "kubic base container" should just
be an alias/rebuild of the tumbleweed one under that different name.

Does all of this make sense and answer your question Fabian?