Re: [opensuse-factory] Naming policy for containers inside the distro
  • From: Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 19:19:04 +1000
On 2019-04-11, Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, Aleksa Sarai wrote:

tumbleweed -> base container
tumbleweed/apache -> derived container

is actually possible to do with stock Docker Distribution -- because the
"tumbleweed/" somewhat acts as a directory and I'm not sure if you can
publish an image with the same name as a repo.

Alpine is doing that on docker hub as far as I could see, but I also
would not do that to get people not confused.

"docker pull alpine" translates to "docker pull
docker.io/library/alpine". So while it looks the same, internally it
gets translated long before it hits the registry.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)