Re: [opensuse-factory] Huge single-core performance loss with spectre v2 mitigation enabled (it's the default)
On 2019-04-10T13:18:45, Michael Pujos <pujos.michael@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It probably makes sense to discuss why "we" choose these settings vs
what Fedora picked. I'm not clear that, when it comes to security, we
should automatically go with those just because Fedora did and they
are faster.
Maybe, but the defaults should not incur a 20% performance loss.
Especially since there is an alternate spectre v2 mitigation.

The default should be complete mitigation. The performance impact is not
openSUSE's fault, but Intel's. Sorry.

Disabling them needs to be a user choice, that admittedly needs to be
made easier and with clear feedback on the performance/security
trade-offs.

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect SDS, Distinguished Engineer
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah, HRB 21284 (AG