[opensuse-factory] KDE4 Status update (was: KDE4/Qt4 removal from openSUSE Factory)
  • From: Christophe Giboudeaux <christophe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 11:52:21 +0200
Hi,

Status update:
Delete requests were filed for almost all the remaining KDE4 packages in
openSUSE Factory.

Unless I forgot packages, only the bare minimum to run Amarok 2.9.0 should
remain after that.

Based on your feedback only Amarok would be missed.
The features mentioned are:
- collection management,
- metadata editing

As none of the plasma applets in Amarok 2.9.0 were mentioned, my conclusion is
that the missing eye candy applets are not an issue.

As Wolfgang mentioned earlier, the Amarok development is going slowly, I
personally don't think it will get a KF5/Qt5 based release.

Based on your tests, we'll see if it's worth pushing a snapshot package to
openSUSE Tumbleweed or asking for its removal.

We're also interested in hearing whether the other players available can suit
your needs.

Please test and compare the other audio players:
- Elisa
- Cantata
- Musique (available in KDE:Extra)
- Yarock (available in KDE:Extra)
- Clementine

In approx. 2 weeks, we'll see what should be done with Amarok.

Thanks.

Just a word about KDM: it's part of kdebase4-workspace and will be removed
from openSUSE Factory. If you need specific features, I strongly suggest to
test the other display managers.