Re: [opensuse-factory] ZSTD compressed root partition subvolumes

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 02, Dan Čermák wrote:

Since I used the default partition layout, /boot/ is part of / and needs
to be readable by GRUB. Unfortunately GRUB stable cannot yet read zstd
compressed btrfs partitions (support has been added in git already:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=386128648606a3aa6ae7108d1c9af52258202279).

My question is: is it safe to compress other subvolumes of /, like /var?

Should be safe.

And would it be safe to put /boot/ into an uncompressed subvolume and
compress everything else (including /)?

Putting /boot into a subvolume will break snapshots, rollback, ...
But you don't need to do that, if I remember correct, you could
compress the files in /boot with another algo or not at all, without
the need to put it into an own subvolume.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany