Re: [opensuse-factory] Announcing the plans for openSUSE Gaming distribution
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 09:15:45 +0200
Dne pondělí 1. dubna 2019 3:17:57 CEST, Stasiek Michalski napsal(a):
Hi,
There has been some discussion about performance of our distributions
in gaming specific workflows. While it would be hard to approach every
single game to fix the abhorent performance due to sloppy steam ports
to Linux, and Wine emulation performance, we can do better by providing
a distribution with tweaked performance impacting parameters.
What does that entail? The main complaint is that Intel, being a way
more popular choice for gamers, lags behind AMD on openSUSE distributions.
It would be a step in right direction if we had kernels specific for
vendor, due to large differences between the ways they choose to build
their CPUs. On top of that, we should have versions of packages, which
avoid any sort of security if it impacts performance. All the security
flags in GCC, gone, all the fixes to Spectre and Meltdown cause major
drop in performance, there is no point to keep them for this new
distribution.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=spec-melt-8way
Obviously we would need to provide beta drivers for Nvidia GPUs
directly in the distribution non-oss repos, to rebuild them every
time new major kernel comes out, so the drivers never stop working
properly. On top of that, for enthusiasts of AMD GPUs and Intel
integrated, we should provide git version of mesa and related
drivers, after all gaming is so on edge, every improvement counts.
All of those changes would make openSUSE Gaming distro the most
reputable and reliable way for gamers to enjoy their games.
But, never forget about bringing some good looking branding along
for the ride:
Logo:
https://i.imgur.com/XFBlEmg.png
Wallpaper (optimized for 32:9 gaming resolution):
https://i.imgur.com/22pHtiY.png
I thought bigger logo might be distracting the main message of the
wallpaper, so I kept it fairly small and in the corner
Hope you like it!

Any performance improvement is of course good. I wonder how much of such
changes are specific for gaming and how much help in other cases...? I'd
suppose that only the spectre/meltdown fixes and might be the NVIDIA drivers
would be specific for gaming. So this might help everyone.
Although I like idea of improved gaming performance of openSUSE, IMHO it's not
the best way to create separate distribution, as it could just confuse users
what to download and if such gaming edition is useful for anything else. Might
be choice during Leap installation with some explanation would be enough. If
such change would mean basically just different kernel, one could also choose
during boot.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu