Re: [opensuse-factory] Renaming the chromium package to chromium-browser and chromium-bsu back to chromium
  • From: Maximilian Trummer <maximilian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 18:14:21 +0200
Am Montag, 1. April 2019, 10:08:03 CEST schrieb Simon Lees:
On 01/04/2019 18:28, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2019-04-01 02:33, Simon Lees wrote:
Some time long ago back in the dark ages we allowed one of the greatest
travesties of all time take place where buy the chromium name was stolen
away from a humble arcade shooter with space ships and lasers then given
to a big ugly memory sucking corporate browser.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/chromium-bsu/

As much as I am with you on the corporate travesty part, I find it
hard to support agreement for the CBSU move.

* It is the year 2000. Internet was still on the rise. Funpics still

outweighed memes. Sourceforge still had a mandatory project review.

Someone registers "Chromium", http://sf.net/projects/chromium/ ,
in December 2000 as:
"""Chromium is a flexible framework for scalable real-time
rendering on clusters of workstations, derived from the Stanford
WireGL project code base."""

* chromium-bsu only made it onto Sourceforge on 21 January 2001,

at which point the "UNIX project name" debate was practically
over, even if CBSU existed before 2000.

* The web.archive.org search engine crawled the then-homepage

of Chromium BSU on January 24 2001, and the page presents the
project as "Chromium B.S.U.". This indicates to me that the
project had, rather quickly (within a month), accepted its name
collision fate.

On the other hand we at openSUSE expect people to "Have a lot of fun"
and clearly renaming chromium-bsu to chromium will cause people to have
a lot of fun the first time they run chromium after the update.

I say we strip unnecessary stuff like LibreOffice and YaST from the default
desktop patterns (making spreadsheets or changing system settings is rather
boring and not really "a lot of fun") and install all games by default
instead.

regards
< Previous Next >
List Navigation