Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE4/Qt4 removal from openSUSE Factory

On 30/03/2019 04:55, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Friday, 29 March 2019 17:51 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Also, porting applications from Qt4 to Qt5 is usually not that
difficult as the API changes were much less involved than the
changes from Qt3 to Qt4.

From what I remember from porting Twinkle, this would be true for native
Qt4 applications. But Qt4 allowed quick and dirty porting of Qt3
applications using a compatibility layer which is no longer available in
Qt5. So if you had a Qt3 application and used this layer to "port" it to
Qt4 without much effort, Qt5 is where you would run into trouble.

I can't say if this is the case here, of course.

Michal Kubecek

Yeah as someone who's ported a bunch of Qt4 -> Qt5 stuff, its normally pretty simple for desktop apps there's a script that covers most of it. The notable exceptions are Qt3 apps where you'd have to move to a newer api, and one of the Qt4 drawing api's which was not commonly used but was replaced for Qt5, clementine used this in a bunch of places for visualizations etc which is why it wasn't a simple port.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30