Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530
Oleksii Vilchanskyi <oleksii.vilchanskyi@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 3/19/19 12:23 AM, Dan Čermák wrote:
The nomodeset setting was a temporary addition, that I added to the
cmdline of the 5.0.x kernel. If that option is absent, then kernel 5.0.x
will boot into a black screen, but 4.20.y will not. Adding nomodeset
"fixes" the black screen and I actually can get to a TTY, but X will
then not start (which makes sense, since KMS is off).

Nevertheless, something (but probably unrelated) is also off with my
Xorg config, as I *need* to have xf86-video-intel installed. Otherwise
Xorg will not start with a good (=4.20) kernel.

Make sure you either don't have a file like
</etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf> or its contents are commented
out.

I have deleted this file.

Make sure that there is no
Section "SomeDevice"
Driver "intel"
EndSection
anywhere in the Xorg configs. If there is, replace "intel" with
"modesetting".

There is no mention of intel anywhere in the xorg conf (at least ripgrep
doesn't find one).

Make sure xf86-video-intel is uninstalled.

That one is gone.

Make sure there is no 'nomodeset' on the kernel parameters.

nomodeset is not present in the kernel parameters.

Do
# dracut -f

Reboot.

If you still cannot get to the graphical target, post the Xorg logs (I
don't think you have had). To do so, at boot time edit the kernel
command line (you already know how to do this) and append
system.unit=rescue.target
Then post the output of </var/log/Xorg.0.log> or
</var/log/Xorg.0.log.old>. To know which one, look for a line
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
which contains the timestamp when the server was attempted to be
started.

I do not want to get to the graphical target. My machine boots into a
tty only, then I log in and then run `startx`.

The problem is: at some point during the boot process with the 5.0.1/2
kernel, the display of my laptop turns off and starts to flicker a bit,
but I get absolutely no output from it. X.org is at this point *not*
running and should thus not interfere. Therefore I do not have an
Xorg.Y.log, because I don't even get to a TTY.

The machine is actually up, it connects to my network and I can ssh into
it, but I cannot get the display to show anything. I have tried an
external monitor, which shows some output and X can be started. But, it
is next to unresponsive, doesn't start any applications and (the most
frustrating part) the log is completely normal (no I don't have it
anymore).

To be honest, I suspect a kernel bug, since I was able to bisect the
kernel and find a commit that introduced this behavior.

Cheers,

Dan