Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530
On 3/19/19 12:23 AM, Dan Čermák wrote:
The nomodeset setting was a temporary addition, that I added to the
cmdline of the 5.0.x kernel. If that option is absent, then kernel 5.0.x
will boot into a black screen, but 4.20.y will not. Adding nomodeset
"fixes" the black screen and I actually can get to a TTY, but X will
then not start (which makes sense, since KMS is off).

Nevertheless, something (but probably unrelated) is also off with my
Xorg config, as I *need* to have xf86-video-intel installed. Otherwise
Xorg will not start with a good (=4.20) kernel.

Make sure you either don't have a file like
</etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf> or its contents are commented out.

Make sure that there is no
Section "SomeDevice"
Driver "intel"
EndSection
anywhere in the Xorg configs. If there is, replace "intel" with
"modesetting".

Make sure xf86-video-intel is uninstalled.

Make sure there is no 'nomodeset' on the kernel parameters.

Do
# dracut -f

Reboot.

If you still cannot get to the graphical target, post the Xorg logs (I
don't think you have had). To do so, at boot time edit the kernel
command line (you already know how to do this) and append
system.unit=rescue.target
Then post the output of </var/log/Xorg.0.log> or
</var/log/Xorg.0.log.old>. To know which one, look for a line
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
which contains the timestamp when the server was attempted to be started.