Re: [opensuse-factory] Today I wanted to install package asciidoc and...
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 20:40:51 +0100,
Martin Wilck wrote:

On Mon, 2019-03-18 at 18:52 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2019-03-18 18:24, Martin Wilck wrote:

If "recommends" is for niche functionality like this, what do we
have
"suggests" for, then?

Beats me. We have too many tags anyway, and `zypper install` does not
even
*have* a --suggests option that could potentially select suggestions
for
installation.

Just because I want to convert asciidoc to something else
doesn't mean I
want to convert it to PDF

You know that argument can be spun both ways.

I'm unsure what you want to say.

asciidoc is for conversion of asciidoc format _to docbook_. Not for
converting _from docbook_ to something else. PDF generation is
outside
the functionality of asciidoc.

Aha, that changes things! The asciidoc man page would do good if it
actually
said that. The way the manpage is written presently (as quoted by
you) suggests
PDF is an integral mode.
In the face of this new knowledge, maybe they should add figlet and
unicorns as
output modes too, because there will always be some strange program
text could
be piped to. Or trim the manpage.

Interestingly there was request 581624 "Do not recommend dblatex, it
pulls over 1700 packages" almost exactly a year ago, which has been
declined because of Takashi's comment at the time - Takashi, could you
maybe reconsider?

As already mentioned in the thread, this package is almost dead, and
we shouldn't touch as much as possible. After all, the behavior is
intentional, and this is no real bug to fix.

thanks,

Takashi