Re: [opensuse-factory] Today I wanted to install package asciidoc and...
  • From: Brüns, Stefan <Stefan.Bruens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 17:49:42 +0000
On Montag, 18. März 2019 18:24:46 CET Martin Wilck wrote:
On Mon, 2019-03-18 at 17:20 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2019-03-18 16:21, Martin Wilck wrote:
The asciidoc man page says "Backend output file format: docbook45,
xhtml11, html4, html5, slidy, wordpress or latex (the latex backend
experimental". That doesn't justify a "Recommends: dblatex".

Actually, this is exactly the justification for Recommends (as I see
it).

Recommends is kind of a "stop bothering me and make it work", in much
the same
way the MS Office 2000 installation recommends DOS-WordPerfect 5.x
reader
plugins (or something of that sort) by default, even though WPG was
becoming a
niche.

If "recommends" is for niche functionality like this, what do we have
"suggests" for, then?

Just because I want to convert asciidoc to something else doesn't
mean
I want to convert it to PDF

You know that argument can be spun both ways.

I'm unsure what you want to say.

asciidoc is for conversion of asciidoc format _to docbook_. Not for
converting _from docbook_ to something else. PDF generation is outside
the functionality of asciidoc.

You better made sure your claims were true ...

The asciidoc package contains a2x, which has a latex backend. When you invoke
a2x without specifying a format, it generates PDF, man a2x:
---
-f, --format=FORMAT
Output formats: chunked, docbook, dvi, epub, htmlhelp, manpage, pdf
(default), ps, tex, text, xhtml. The AsciiDoc a2x-format
attribute value is set to FORMAT.
---

Feel free to split up the asciidoc package.

IMO, the way tetex is currently set up in openSUSE, no package should
"recommend" it for the sake of PDF generation alone. Isn't it quite
obvious from the discussion on this list? How many complaints have you
seen that (packages like) asciidoc fail to generate PDFs out of the
box, compared to complaints about the number of tetex packages?

There can be no complaints about falling PDF generation, as it can not happen
currently.

Regards,

Stefan