Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530
* H.Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@xxxxxxxxx> [03-18-19 10:11]:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 14:53:55 +0100, "Dan Cermak" <dcermak@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi list,

yesterday I applied the update to the most recent kernel and
unfortunately now my laptop will no longer boot into a graphical
session. So if you have a Dell Precision 5530, don't reboot into the
5.0.1 or 5.0.2 kernel. If you did and it runs well, please tell me
how you have configured your system, as I currently cannot even get
the Tumbleweed rescue disk to boot (exactly the same symptoms: blank
screen).

It has nothing to do with the Dell as such, but with the fact that it
has an nVidia graphics card. Those problems have been mentioned a few
time already on this list.

This is exactly the reason I only choose laptops that do *not* have
nVidia graphics hardware. Living on the edge with TumbleWeed and the
lagging nVidia support makes the chance on a non-functional laptop too
big for my comfort.

is it *usually* simple to boot to an earlier version kernel and nvidia
still has the best support for working graphic images. so all depends on
one's expectations. I do not buy only nvidia but do buy nvidia for video
intensive work.