Re: [opensuse-factory] Don't upgrade to a 5.0.x Kernel with a Dell Precision 5530
On 3/18/19 9:11 AM, Dan Cermak wrote:
Nope, I have blacklisted everything from Nvidia & Nouveau, so only the Intel
driver should be running.

Also, I tried the Tumbleweed rescue disk: that one will start booting, but at
some point the laptop screen just turns off and that's it.

If you force the kernel to not load any graphics accelerator, does it boot? When at the GRUB line, select the Advanced option and the 5.0.1 kernel. Then press E to edit the line. Find the line that starts with "linuxefi" or "linux", press the END key to get to the end of the line, and append " nomodeset". Then press the F10 key to boot. Do you get a desktop this way? If so, it will have no acceleration and limited resolution, but we will have isolated the graphics driver as the problem.

Larry